Friday, January 22, 2010

Megan suggests: Blue Blood


A lot of people I know have enjoyed watching The Wire on DVD. The series shows, among many things, some of the day-to-day life of a police officer. For a book on the job of being a cop, I say don't miss Blue Blood by Edward Conlon. It's a 2004 title, but I like to refer to it as the book I was least interested in reading that I enjoyed the most. Yes, it's a little on the long side, but Conlon is a great writer and kept the pages turning for me.

Imagine your garrulous Irish uncle sitting you down at a bar and telling you story after story, not just about being a police officer, but about his family, his own back story, the history of New York City and the history of its police force. The book covers a lot of territory, but remains cohesive.

MAF

No comments:

Post a Comment